5.12.2012

Double Nickels



photo

My Dad turned 55 yesterday. Over the last year, I had been sending out emails to every one of his friends and family members I could find, inviting them to write him something from their heart; a funny memory, or a simple reminder that he is loved.

_MG_3644
People came through! From across states and countries. Sending photos, cards, long letters. It was a magical moment watching as he realized what was happening. What was done all in his honor.

_MG_3645
Zack found a 1957 nickel at a coin shop, we paired it with a 2012 nickel as decoration on the gift- which he now has on his keys.  We searched through every bunch of change we could legally get our hands on over the past few months- with no such luck, which is why my brilliant husband thought to go to a coin shop! Such a smarty!

_MG_3647
He carefully looked over each picture, naming each person and telling us a little about them. We grew up hearing about these people but I never get tired of seeing his face light up as he talks about them. As it all comes back to him…

_MG_3648
_MG_3653
He slowly read letter after letter, with tears in his eyes, stopping occasionally to wipe away the tears and thank us for do this for him. He had to stop when he got to the last two, my brothers Joe’s and my sister Audrey’s, I don’t know that he could take anymore at that time— ( I read them and wanted to cry. There was so much love on those pages.)

_MG_3701
I framed some of the pictures that were sent, and put the letters in a portfolio book so that he can keep them forever.

_MG_3702
Joe (above) being sneaky while propping the photo up for me.

Thank you all for sending letters cards and photos to my Dad! It did not go unappreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like: : :

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...