9.16.2013

PRESCHOOL: : POLAR BEARS

_MG_6963b

As I took my sweet time getting out of bed Monday morning, I decided “Today is the day we’re going to start getting this girl learned, and have fun doing it!”

I noticed several of the homeschooling “helpful hints” I had found on Pinterest,  had lesson schedules which were set around a theme, and included “exercise breaks.” So I gathered up some things and we had a wonderful experience with it!

_MG_6853_MG_6869

After breakfast I made a bridge. The game was you have to crawl under it and run around the couch. We were sweating and I, and only I , was exhausted within ten minutes.  She had a blast with it!

_MG_6872b_MG_6883

Penelope took a photo of Amelia tumbling for me. Looks quite a bit like a blurry fan to me, but it’s the though that counts, right?

We tumbled (summersaults) after the bridge game. Amelia clapped after each of her turns and crawled back to my lap for another.

_MG_6905b_MG_6923a

We began the schooling part of the day by reading “Just One More Swim.”

We followed it up with learning about polar bears on a Planet Earth DVD and snacking on gold fish (because they eat fish).

_MG_6909a_MG_6921a_MG_6925a

As I made lunch, she colored a page about a polar bear cub. She used the book as a reference. It ended up blue and purple though. :)

_MG_6932a

After her nap, we continued our lesson with a craft. We made a polar bear face.

Materials: :

Plate – plastic or paper

White tissue paper

White yogurt cup or clear fruit cup

Glue

Scissors

White + black paper

_MG_6944b

She was most excited about placing the eyes on it.

_MG_6947a

I cut out some ears (free hand) and glue them to the back of the plate.

_MG_6953a

I crumpled then shredded the tissue paper, and swirled glue around the plate (and plastic cup for nose). Penelope then placed the pieces of paper and pushed the paper down.

If you decide to do this, and use a white yogurt cup, you don’t have to cover it in tissue paper.

I glued a larger piece of tissue paper down in the center of the plate so the nose cup would stick to the plastic plate better, but I’m sure this isn’t necessary for a paper plate.

_MG_6957a

We then “finally” put the eyes and tip of the nose on our bear. – oh, and smile!

_MG_6958a

She can’t stop talking about her bear plate, and it will soon have a home on a wall around here!

We also watched a web cam video of a live polar bear and and danced to a polar bear song.

Penelope informed me multiple times at supper that she does not like carrots, so tomorrow we will be learning about carrots. What they are good for, how to grow them, painting a giant carrot to put on the fridge, etc. She has already been informed of one fact: No matter if she likes them or not, she still has to eat them! I don’t like carrots either, and I eat them simply to avoid being a hypocrite.

I really enjoyed this preschool thing! I hope this goes well and I don’t find excuses to stop doing it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like: : :

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...