6.18.2014

COOKIN’ WITH MAE / DONUTS! MUFFINS?

_MG_3546kj

Since we have been making our own butter, I have acquired quite a bit of buttermilk. Sadly, I don’t have a single recipe that requires buttermilk.

However, last week I finally located a buttermilk donut recipe! Zack’s favorite food is donuts, so two for one – not a bad deal! As you can see, I do not have a donut pan, but they taste yummy nonetheless. :)

_MG_3423kj

You may notice, as you read this, that these would be great in the fall with some coffee!

2 cups all-purpose flour

1 1/2 cups sugar

2 tsp. baking powder

1 tsp. cinnamon

1/2 tsp. nutmeg

1/2 tsp. salt

1 large egg, beaten

1 1/4 cup buttermilk (or whole)

2 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted

2 tsp. vanilla extract

_MG_3430kj_MG_3438kj

Penelope did great measuring out the ingredients, but I always insist on pouring the sugar – it is so messy!

_MG_3440kj

I told her to make sure and level off the measuring spoons. ^ She waited until the spoon was over the bowl to do so. :)

_MG_3448kj

She forgot the level off the nutmeg – now our house smells like nutmeg!

* Mix dry ingredients + wet ingredients separately.

_MG_3456j_MG_3458j

I whisked the egg in a measuring cup, so she could pour easily. I also had to pour the buttermilk, since I had just enough for the recipe and couldn’t afford to spill it. As you can see in the photo above, even Mama doesn’t have a steady hand…

_MG_3463j

I also melted the butter in a bowl, and poured it into a measuring cup, to make it easier in her.

_MG_3466kj_MG_3478kj_MG_3480kj_MG_3503kj

Grease the pan (even if you choose to use a donut pan) with spray or canola oil. I figured the oil would be easiest for P to use.

_MG_3554kj

Bake at 350o for 17 minutes.

When they are done, let them cool for 5 minutes while you prepare the toppings.

Toppings:

Melted butter

Cinnamon + sugar, mixed

Shavings from a vanilla bean (We skipped this one)

Roll the donuts in the butter, and then in the sugar mixture. Sprinkle vanilla bean shavings on top.

SIZE

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like: : :

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...